Iraq: Officials Dispose of Potential War Crime Evidence
No Results From Promised Investigations
Friday 20 April 2018
WARNING: This story contains disturbing images. Viewer discretion is advised.(Erbil, April 20, 2018) – An incident on March 29, 2018, in which government workers removed about 80 bodies from a damaged house, raised suspicions of a cover-up of killings of possible Islamic State (also known as ISIS) suspects, Human Rights Watch said today. Human Rights Watch observed the episode. Days later, the house had been burned.
Iraqi authorities at the site said they were the remains of ISIS suspects. Heath Ministry and Interior Intelligence Ministry officials at the site said they were not permitted to share information about where the bodies were taken. There has been no indication that the deaths are being investigated.